Friday, January 1, 2010

Happy New Year

Happy New Year! To health, happiness, peace and adventures in this coming year.

We celebrated here in Agadir. Younis made it till 10 pm (along with his mama... couldn't hold out till midnight this year). We had a super relaxing day though. Imad's cousin works as the "directrice" at this amazing therapeutic spa complete with a pool full of massage jets and lots of other spa goodies. We got a special deal on the pool and a full hammam treatment which included steam room and scrub. We brought in the new year the cleanest we've felt in months! And today we all had a massage which was a delightful start to the new year.

Last night, at the hotel where the spa is located, they were having lots of new years festivities so we listened to some traditional Moroccan Gnawa music. Younis absolutely LOVED it. You can all see for yourself in the video at the end of this post. He was dancing around the hotel and since it wasn't too crowded yet he was by far number one music fan and got some love back from the musicians. We ventured out for dinner but post spa and hammam, and with little sleep for a couple nights in a row, I was exhausted and literally passed out along with Younis at 10. I don't know if it's being in Morocco and far from the usual routine of life that I'm used to, but this New Years felt more light than usual. I don't feel that same pressure to come up with the perfect resolutions. New Years felt festive, but without all the ads and media messages I'm used to in the U.S. pushing me to make it something I'll never forget.


This morning we were greeted by a family of peacocks, two males and a few females. They are beautiful up close, but I don't trust them. Those are big birds! We went for a nice walk at the marina, any sailors out there, this is a prime destination. We soaked in lots of sun and greeted 2010 ready for more adventures.



3 comments:

  1. Younis little dance is so cute! And I sure envy for the spa time... We had this kind of special time in the Sheraon on the Pima reservation (with tribal member discount) and it felt wonderful - makes you very sleepy too... and I also recognize this sensation of being "aussi propre qu'un sou neuf" as the saying goes... Am I right to think that Agadir is in Tunisie? Oh and Happy New Year :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy New Year to you and the family! Thank you for sharing your adventures, I'm digging the blog. I related to your haircut (although my hair is not nearly as thick or curly as yours or Elissa's). I chopped mine off about a month ago, right after the wedding, and before the new job started. It was quite freeing...and is now quite short! Talk to you soon! Lori

    ReplyDelete
  3. Where did Younis get those moves? Your comment about USA Rockin' New Years resonates deeply. So nice to be surrounded by organic positive energy instead of hype. Much love to you and the family :)

    ReplyDelete