Monday, January 18, 2010

La Foret Nouzhat Ibn Sina

Not far from where we live in Rabat, there is a wonderful park called La Foret Nouzhat Ibn Sina also referred to as "la foret Hilton" because it is right next to a large hotel that is now Sofitel but used to be the Hilton. La foret has a loop around that I would guess is about 3-4 kilometers. The park has lush green grass and what I believe are eucalyptus trees that provide shade. There are a couple little cafes, this rock structure for climbing, a little area for kids to practice riding bikes and open areas for soccer, stretching or other activities. This is one place where people can go and be left alone for the most part. When I walk around the park by myself, I don't feel like I have to be as aware of my surroundings or that I'm being watched as I do sometimes on the streets of Rabat, although I have to say it is so much better than when I lived here 10 or so years ago.

Here are a few things that make this park so different from a park in the states:

At the main entrance to the park is a beautiful mosaic structure where people can drink water. There's a metal cup to fill water from the spout. This is a shared cup, yes shared. And people use it. Can you imagine a shared cup among random people in the states? Never.
Not sure if this well actually works, but there is a well next to the water spout. Still need to investigate the function of the well.
This isn't really so different, just a cool addition, this post which says in English, French, Arabic: May Peace Prevail On Earth.

Yesterday was my birthday. I had a wonderful day which started out after breakfast and some morning time with Younis and Imad, with a peaceful walk at La Foret. Being Sunday morning, it was packed!! There were so many people there and it was so alive. This birthday may have been my first birthday ever spent in beautiful, warm nearly 80 degree weather. It was gorgeous. As I was walking around the park, I reached this one spot where there is a stage and a big banner promoting exercise. I'd never seen anything happening on the stage, but yesterday, there was a woman leading stretches and aerobic exercise. As I turned the corner and saw the crowd I was so overwhelmed with emotion. It's these little things that move me because there was this huge crowd of people participating and this loud, fun music and you could just feel the energy. What moved me is the sense of community, that anyone can participate, the more the merrier and it's free to the public. There was a mix of men and women, some wearing the hijab and others not, children, all ages. Can't wait to join in one of these Sundays.



3 comments:

  1. Happy birthday to you .
    Next month in Paris !

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you very much for posting about this park. I want to spend some time in the park among trees and nature and this is a perfect place,delightful for a picnic, it is beautiful. Are there any public restrooms in the area, in case we spend an entire afternoon there?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, as there are restrooms and a couple cafes. You can easily spend a nice afternoon there.

    ReplyDelete