Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Karim's Salon

A couple days ago, I followed in Younis' footsteps and got my own haircut. When I lived in Morocco 10 or so years ago, I had a very traumatic haircut experience that involved trimming hair near my ears that ended up looking like strange sideburns. Anyway, I've realized in this trip how much I've grown up. I've always had a hard time finding a good hairstylist. Anyone with thick curly hair will probably relate to what I'm saying. Most hairstylists either just don't really know how to deal with curly hair or get overly excited and start doing some wild things that in the end result basically in big hair. Well, this past year, I found an amazing hairstylist. I love her! I got a good haircut before leaving Seattle, but it was time to chop it off again.

What I've realized is that I don't have the same emotional reactions that I used to in regards to my hair. Ten years ago, I was sobbing, bawling at what Jamal did to my hair. I was so upset and could not get perspective. So now this haircut done by Aziz at Karim's Salon, well it is by far not the best haircut I've had. For some reason, he left a few areas sort of long in the back and didn't totally get what I was trying to explain to him about decreasing volume on the top, or he didn't know how. It's a decent cut though, not horrible and in the end, it will grow out again. And eventually, I can go back to my favorite hairdresser and she can fix it all up. Instead of feeling upset, it just feels like oh well. Maybe with a toddler too, there's just not the time for me to throw a tantrum.

Now, it feels more like an interesting experience. In Morocco, people love to get "brushings" which is basically hair straightening. So I got a brushing. The experience was feeling like my scalp was burning, very hot hairdryer, actual steam coming off my hair. But I got to practice my Arabic since he didn't speak much French. In the end, not a great haircut, but an entertaining 45 minutes and only $8.


1 comment: