Thursday, March 18, 2010

The Good, the Bad and the Ugly

GOOD: Yesterday Imad and I went for our first real swim in the ocean. We've done a lot of wading our feet in the water and running after Younis who if it wasn't for his parents running after him, would go running straight into the waves. Skhirate beach is known for big waves and yesterday they were really strong. We see a lot of surfers and boogie boarders and yesterday lots of people were out so we got inspired to take our first plunge. It was cold for sure, but it felt so good and we look forward to more ocean swimming before we head back to the states.

BAD: Younis is having a rough time with sleep these days. He's been fighting a cold and we can see how exhausted he is, yet it takes a good one to two hours to put the kid to sleep. He just fights it and fights it and rolls around, up and down and kicks and screams and eventually finally falls asleep but it's a painful process. He's been through so many transitions over these past 6 months and I know it's not easy changing beds and environments so often, but in the moment, it's not easy to keep our calm. Younis is a strong-willed boy. He doesn't let down easy. I often just wonder how he can function with so much energy on such little sleep, but he just keeps going and going. Hopefully one of these days he'll have a nice long 12 hour night sleep and make it all up, that's what we keep hoping, gotta keep the hope alive!

UGLY: The first day at the beach, I started seeing lots of friendly little creatures roaming around the house. There are about a million ants in and around the house, they are everywhere! As far as critters go, ants are relatively harmless as I've learned from Imad who has a soft spot in his heart for these hard-working little wonders. I'd prefer they stay outside, but on the positive side it's forced us to stay extra tidy. However, yesterday things got uglier. I woke up (bright and early, thank you Younis!) and wandered into the main room to find a BIG cockroach dead on it's back. Don't want to know how it got there, just hope it's a one time occurrence. Now, for the ugliest, this morning I woke up. My eye was feeling a little funny. I go to the bathroom look in the mirror and take a double, triple take. Check out my eye! I tend to have pretty intense reactions to bug bites, not sure what kind of bug this was but hope it doesn't come back to visit me.

No comments:

Post a Comment